Learning-Aligned Employment Program (LAEP)
The Learning-Aligned Employment Program (LAEP) is a 10-year program established in 2023 to offer eligible students at public colleges and universities the opportunity to earn additional state financial aid to help defray their educational costs while gaining quality, education-aligned, career-related employment.
LAEP allows participating students placement in an educationally beneficial position that relates to the student's area of study, career objective, or the exploration of career objectives. The program includes and emphasizes positions for students with employers that are capable of providing them with full-time employment opportunities after graduation, or opportunities to connect with other employers that are capable of providing them with full-time employment opportunities after graduation, within their areas of study.
Are you a:
- first-generation college student
- low-income student (typically Pell Grant eligible)
- current or former foster youth
- homeless student or at risk of becoming homeless
- student with disabilities
- displaced worker
- student with dependent children
- formerly incarcerated student
- undocumented student
- student meeting the requirements of Assembly Bill 540 of the 2001-2002 Regular Session of the Legislature
- student who is a veteran?
If you meet any of the above criteria, please reach out to the Financial Aid Office (FAO) to confirm eligibility. LAEP will give you a chance to work in a role related to your major. You can work on or off campus. Check out Handshake and search LAEP to find all LAEP jobs available to students this year. Need more help? Stop by the Career Center for more information.
Want to help Sonoma State students build real life work skills? Consider hiring a LAEP Student to support a research project or other similar assignments in your office.
As a reminder, LAEP eligible student jobs must be:
- 50% research based (does not have to be traditional research)
- Support tasks related to the student’s major and/or intended job path
- Supported by a job description reviewed by Career Services to confirm the position aligns with LAEP objectives
Sonoma State is targeting expanding the LAEP to off-campus employers by summer 2024. If your company is interested in participating in the LAEP, an inquiry form will be made available soon! Please check back for updates.